Understanding OSHA Fall Protection Updates
For decades, ladder cages have been a staple for safety accessories. As you know OSHA is consistently updating its guidelines to ensure best safety practices are followed, leaving many wondering, “Are ladder cages still required for steel buildings?” The short answer: No. OSHA now requires safer alternatives for fixed ladders. As an industrial ladders supplier, the Design Components team is here to help you understand what fall protection accessories are best for your steel building.
OSHA’s Fall Protection Guidelines for Fixed Ladders
Updated in November 2018, OSHA’s new fall protection guidelines state that fixed ladders over 24 feet must have a fall arrest system. Compliant fall arrest systems are hands-free for ascending climbers. While cages are no longer required, they do not need to be removed—all fixed ladders over 24 feet must be retrofitted by Nov. 18, 2036, with a compliant personal fall arrest system or ladder safety system. Another important requirement is that fixed ladders over 24 feet must have rest points; fixed ladders without cages must now have a landing platform at maximum intervals of 150 feet.
Please reference our fall protection PDF to learn more about this topic.
What Fall Protection Systems are the Best Options?
Staying up-to-date on OSHA’s guidelines can be a full-time job. That’s what we’re here for—Design Components provides equipment that meets and exceeds OSHA guidelines, including our fall protection systems. There are multiple compliant personal fall arrest systems that you can utilize for a fixed ladder. Below are the primary personal fall arrest systems that are OSHA-compliant.
Rigid Rail Systems
- Easily mounted to virtually any place where climbing must be done
- Retro-fit to existing ladder cages
- 11-1100-AR – anodized aluminum climbing rail with mounting hardware
- 1-1105-SS – 316 stainless steel climbing rail with mounting hardware
- 1-1100-CR – curved anodized aluminum climbing rail with mounting hardware
- Trolley connects to waist D-ring and does not make contact with neck/chin area
- Trolley moves freely and easily and immediately locks arresting a fall
- Available for straight and curved rail
- 2-1200A-AT – Climbing trolley for straight, vertical aluminum rail
- 2-1221A-AT – Aluminum climbing trolley for curved/straight rail
- 2-1223-AT – Aluminum trolley for horizontal rails
- 2-1224A-AT – Aluminum climbing trolley for stainless steel & aluminum climbing rails
Vertical Flexible Cable Climbing Systems
- Cable grab connects to waist D-ring and does not make contact with neck/chin area
- 3/8″ galvanized wire-rope lifeline permanently terminated at one end
- Top and bottom brackets with tensioner, and rung clamps up to 1-1/8″ diameter
*When ordering product #’s are designated by length (10′ increments from 20′- 300′)
- VL-38-20 – VL-38, 20′ in length
- VL-38-100 – VL-38, 100′ in length
- VL-38-300 – VL-38, 300′ in length
Rooftop Fall Protection Accessories
Design Components is more than an industrial ladders supplier. We offer accessories that keep your team safe while meeting and exceeding OSHA requirements. In addition to our climbing systems, harnesses, and other equipment for ladder fall protection, we also specialize in providing a rooftop system that furthers your fall protection efforts. METALWALK® is exclusively supplied by Design Components, and it’s a rooftop walkway system that is trusted by countless building owners across the nation.
Expertly engineered, designed, and manufactured, METALWALK® is the gold standard in safe rooftop access—not only offering safety for users, but also protecting your building. Unlike other walkway systems, the METALWALK® system does not penetrate rooftop panels, keeping your building intact while also optimizing functionality. Of course, this is an OSHA-compliant option for your rooftop fall protection needs.
Improve Your Fall Protection Equipment with Design Components
Our knowledgeable team is ready to help guide you to the best fall protection solutions. We’ll take a look at your unique needs and equip your building with the accessories and equipment that keep your team safe while meeting OSHA’s guidelines.
Supplying steel building accessories since 1978, our knowledgeable and experienced team is ready to help your business find the equipment you need for a better and safer workplace. With over 30 years of expertise on these products and a passion for equipping companies with the best possible fit, count on Design Components Inc., your trusted industrial ladders and metal building accessories supplier. Call us today at (800) 868-9910 to speak with a live representative or request a quote by contacting us on our website. Stay up to date with our latest products and news by connecting with us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.